Weird Facts 2
At night, Disneyland becomes overrun by stray cats. Disney embraces them because they keep the mouse population in check and treats them like pets, including spaying and neutering them and giving them shots. Source
- The average temperature on the surface of the sun is 5,778 Kelvin.
The diameter of the sun is 1 390 000 km (865 000 miles).
- The name Adam is believed to have originated from the Hebrew word for earth Adamah.
- Nikola Tesla was in favor of sterilizing criminals and mentally unstable and believed that by 2100 no one who is not a desirable parent should be permitted to produce progeny. Source
- Hot water will turn into ice faster then cold water. Read More
- Assuming current population growths remain constant: by the year 3550 the total human population will have the same mass as the earth; assuming the average person is 60 kg (132 pounds).
- In space, astronauts cannot cry, because there is no gravity, so the tears can't flow!
- There are more plastic flamingos in the U.S, than real ones!
- Multicellular life only has 800 million years left on Earth, at which point, there won’t be enough CO2 in the atmosphere for photosynthesis to occur. Source
- A sneeze will travels out your mouth at over 100 m.p.h.!
- There is a pizza place in Alaska that delivers by plane. Source
- Your ribs move about 5 million times a year, every time you breathe!
- Pepsi ran an advertisement promising a Harrier jet to anyone who collected 7,000,000 Pepsi Points, a gag that backfired when a participant attempted to take advantage of the ability to buy additional points for 10 cents each to claim a jet for $700,000. Source
- Recycling one glass jar, saves enough energy to watch T.V for 3 hours!
- The price of admission for a zoo in 18th century England was a dog or a cat — they were fed to the lions. Source
- There wasn't a single pony in the Pony Express, just horses!
- After Merriam-Webster added “McJob”–defined: a low-paying job that requires little skill and provides little opportunity for advancement–to their dictionary, McDonald’s asked for it to be removed. They responded with “we stand by the accuracy and appropriateness of our definition.“ Source
- A man got charged with battery on a police officer for farting on him… the charges were later dropped. Source
- North and South Korean armies choose their physically toughest looking soldiers to have a constant ongoing “stare down” across the Korean border to determine who is more powerful. Source
- People who are famous and successful have shorter lives. The average age at death of performers and athletes, 77.2 years, wasn’t exactly young, but it was younger than those who had achieved success in other fields. Businesspeople and their ilk lived longest. In fact, their average age at death, 83 years, was higher than the national average for 2010 of 78.7 years. Philanthropists, academics, and doctors were more likely than others to die of “old age,” a diagnosis that occurred least often for performers, athletes, and creatives. Source
- In 2010 a WWII Battlefield was discovered, untouched, since 1942. Source
- There was a woman named Edith Macefeild who would not sell her house to make way for a commercial development project in Seattle. When she died, she willed the house to the leader of the construction project “in gratitude for the friendship he had shown her during the construction.“ Source
- If you plant an apple seed, the resulting tree will not produce the same kinds of apples. In fact, they will taste significantly different and may be unsuitable for human consumption. Source
- Physics Professor Jack H. Hetherington learned he couldn’t be the sole author on a paper. (because he used words like “we” “our”) Rather than rewriting the paper he added his cat as an author. Source
Stay tuned for more Fun Facts coming soon!
Weird Facts has been updated daily since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.
Submit a Fact or Correct a Fact
Leave a comment with either Facebook Comments or Weird Facts Jcomments: