Weird Facts 5 Strange But True
Dedicated to keeping you informed about all the interesting, strange and cool facts from around the world.
- Neil Armstrong’s NASA application was a week late. If it weren’t for his friend, Dick Day, secretly slipping it into the pile, he would have been rejected. Source
- A woman adopted and murdered over 400 infants in order to make money on adoption fees. Source
- Huggies has created a device that sends an alert to your iPhone when your baby pees. The plastic device, invented by Huggies Brazil was named the TweetPee. This device sits in your baby’s diaper and can detect changes in humidity. The device is connected to an iPhone app that sends you an alert when the humidity in your baby’s diaper indicates that he/she has peed. The app can also track your Huggies stock and allows you to buy new diapers online. Source Source 2
- If you are locked in a completely sealed room, you will die of carbon dioxide poisoning before you will die of oxygen deprivation. Read More For example, when the carbon-dioxide scrubbers failed on Apollo 13. They had enough oxygen for the whole trip, but they couldn't remove CO2 fast enough with three people taxing the built-for-two LEM.
- There are up to 24 dialects of American English. Source
- There was a man named Joseph Bolitho Johns who escaped Australian prison so many times, they built a special cell just for him. He escaped that as well. Source
- If you can see a rainbow you must have your back to the sun. If you don't, you can't see it. The only way to see a complete, full circle, rainbow is to be flying (or falling). Otherwise whatever you’re standing on will cast a shadow that will cut off the bottom of the circle. A rainbow is an angle-dependent illusion. They don’t actually exist anywhere, they just appear to.
- Billionaire J. Paul Getty refused to pay $17m ransom for his kidnapped Grandson. When the teenager’s severed ear arrived, he agreed $3m but only paid $2.2m… the maximum that would be tax deductible. He lent the other $800k to his son on the condition that he pay it back with 4% interest. Source
- Switching to LED lighting for signage will save Holiday Inn an estimated $4.4 Million a year. Read More
- In Casablanca, Humphrey Bogart never said "Play it again, Sam." Sherlock Holmes never said "Elementary, my dear Watson."
- Captain Kirk never said "Beam me up, Scotty," but he did say, "Beam me up, Mr. Scott."
- The Flinstones was originally sponsored by Winston cigarettes, and was intended for adults. Source
- Stilton blue cheese is known to frequently cause odd, vivid dreams. Source
- In United Kingdom, the Speaker of the House is not allowed to speak. False, he is allowed to speak, but he may not take part in debates and must maintain his or her non-partisan status.
- People in Denmark both pay the highest taxes in the world and are the happiest people in the world, according to several surveys, have 6% unemployment and a nominal GDP that’s 25% higher than that of the United States. Source
- In most watch advertisements the time displayed on the watch is 10:10 because then the arms frame the brand of the watch (and make it look like it's smiling.)
- In 1955, someone dropped a 600 year old plaster Buddha statue… to discover the plaster was actually covering a solid gold statue. Source
- Even with income, education, and other correlates controlled, intelligent people drink more alcohol. Source
- In the film 'Star Trek : First Contact', when Picard shows Lilly she is orbiting Earth, Australia and Papa New Guinea are clearly visible .. but New Zealand is missing.
- A woman survived a bear mauling by hiking back to her car and driving 4 miles for help, even though her face was partially ripped off and an eyeball was hanging out of its socket. Source
- Criminal intentions? In Washington state, there is a law that ‘a motorist with criminal intentions [must] stop at the city limits and telephone the chief of police as he is entering the town.’ Source
- It takes 8.5 minutes for light to get from the sun to earth.
- When Alan Shepard was waiting for liftoff to become the first American in space, a reporter asked him what he was thinking about. He replied “The fact that every part of this ship was built by the low bidder.“ Source
- There is a drug, called DNP, which causes the human body to effectively burn body fat at an extremely fast rate. The downside? Most of the energy stored in the fat is released as heat when it is metabolized. Take too much DNP and you will literally cook yourself to death. Source
- In 1961 a B52 broke apart over Goldsboro, NC while carrying two fully armed 3.8 megaton thermonuclear bombs. One fell to Earth, breaking apart. The other went through 5 of 6 steps needed for detonation including deploying its parachute and charging its detonation capacitors. Source
Weird Facts has been updated daily since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.
Submit a Fact or Correct a Fact
Leave a comment with either Facebook Comments or Weird Facts Jcomments: