Weird Facts 24
- The sixth sick sheik's sixth sheep's sick is said to be the toughest tongue twister in the English language. According to the Guinness Book of World Records.
- Whale’s vomit is worth $5,000+ per pound. Source
- In average, a human being will have sex more than 3,000 times and spend two weeks kissing in their lifetime.
- In 1942 there was a man called the Phantom Barber, who would break into peoples houses in Mississippi at night and cut their hair. Source
- If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib .
- If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.
- If you keep your eyes open by force, they can pop out. Myth: Your eyes will bulge out, but they will not pop out.
The most isolated person ever was Alfred Worden during Apollo 15, he was 2,235 miles away from the nearest human being. Source
Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
- In the course of an average lifetime you will, while sleeping, eat 70 assorted insects and 10 spiders. (MYTH - Deliberately concocted rumor that originated from a book on insect lore published in 1954 (In a section on "common misbeliefs") )
- Like fingerprints, everyone's tongue print is different.
- Rubber bands last longer when refrigerated.
- The longest-serving death row inmate is a Japanese former boxer. He’s been in solitary confinement for 44 years. And he could well be innocent, as a 2012 DNA test revealed. Source
- Peanuts are one of the ingredients used in dynamite.
- There are 293 ways to make change for a dollar.
- 18 million links were shared on Facebook in August. Read More
- The average person's left hand does 56% of the typing.
- Until 2011 in Russia anything under 10% alcohol was considered foodstuff and not alcoholic. Source
- The longest one-syllable word in the English language is "screeched."
- In 2006, The FBI planted an informant in a Southern California mosque who pretended to be a radical Muslim and the Muslims at the mosque reported him to the FBI. Source
- All of the clocks in the movie "Pulp Fiction" are stuck on 4:20.False - In the "Bonnie Situation" while Jimmy, Vince and Jules are drinking coffee in the kitchen, the clock clearly reads 8:15. Secondly, when Vince and Jules go to retrieve the briefcase, it is "7:22 in the a.m.". The significance of the time 4:20 is that it is slang for smoking stuff.
- The plural, gender-neutral term for “nieces and nephews” is “niblings”. Source
- Some US airports use falconry (hunting of game with falcons) "to scare off birds that can be hazardous for airplanes." Read More
- US interrogators tortured an Afghan detainee to death by hanging him by his arms for 4 days and beating his legs so badly they needed amputation. They did this despite most interrogators believing him to be “an innocent man who simply drove his taxi past the American base at the wrong time”. Source
- Navy SEALs used to be waterboarded as a part of their training but the process was stopped when no SEAL could pass it, leading to bad morale. Source
Stay tuned for more Fun Facts coming soon!
Weird Facts has been updated daily since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.