Weird Facts 29
- On a British Airways flight en route to Spain the windshield blew out, sucking the captain halfway out. Flight attendants suffered frostbite and other injuries to hold onto his legs while the copilot landed the plane — with no loss of life. Source
- Metal shrinks when its cold, thats why the Eiffel tower is 6 inches shorter in winter.
- AmphicarPresident Lyndon B. Johnson owned an Amphibious car, the Amphicar, and used it to scare guests by driving them into his lake screaming about brake failure. Source
- 1 million seconds = 13.5 days
- In 32 years. there are about 1 billion seconds!
- Louis IV of France had a stomach twice as big as a normal stomach.
- Google got its name from ëgoogolí, meaning the number 1 and 100 zeroes after it.
- Pre-schoolers are the fastest-growing market for antidepressants. At least four percent of preschoolers — over a million — are clinically depressed. Source
- Gloucestershire airport in England used to blast Tina Turner songs on the runways to scare birds away.
- During the filming of the Bond film, “Never Say Never Again,” Sean Connery angered his martial arts instructor so much that he broke Connery’s wrist. The instructor was Steven Seagal. Source
- If you toss a penny 10,000 times, it will not be heads 5,000 times, but more like 4,950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.
- There is a tribe in India that has passed down for generations the art of manipulating tree roots to create a system of “living” bridges. Source
- If you're typical, you can guess someone's sex with 95% accuracy just by smelling their breath.
- In the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906, three men were caught alive on the roof of a hotel that was ablaze. Rather than see the men fall and be burned alive, a nearby military officer ordered his men to shoot them. Source
- A man spent 17 years building a Lamborghini from scratch in his basement and then smashed a hole in his house to get it out. Source
- In 1957 Henry Molaison had his hippocampus and amygdala surgically removed due to epilepsy, after the surgery he was unable to form any new memories and could not recall any past memories. He was institutionalized for research and essentially was “stuck in time”. Source
- Only two in one thousand diamonds are considered truly colorless.
- There is a dress that becomes transparent when wearer is sexually aroused. Source
- An Indian airline only hires women because they are lighter, so they save up to $500,000 per year in fuel. Source
- Tablecloths were originally meant to be served as towels with which dinner guests could wipe their hands and faces after eating!
- Buzz Aldrin once punched a moon landing conspiracy theorist in the face. The charges were dismissed, saying that he was provoked. Source
- The can opener was invented 48 years after the can.
- The first person sentenced to the stocks in Boston was Edward Palmer, the builder of said stocks. His crime: Charging too much for building the stocks. Source
- Bluebanded goby fish, about 2 to 2.5 inches long, are able to change their sex when the male leaves or dies. Source
- Pencil sales increased 700% in the year following Sudoku becoming popular. Source
Weird Facts has been updated daily since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.