Weird Facts 3
Dedicated to keeping you informed about all the interesting, strange and cool facts from around the world.
- Falling in love costs you two friends according to Oxford study. Source
- It's impossible to sneeze with your eyes open. Myth Your eyelids snap shut by reflex, but you can train yourself to keep your eyes open.
- People have more empathy for abused puppies and dogs than they do for adult humans who have been abused, a new study suggests. Source
- The microwave was invented after a researcher walked by a radar tube and a chocolate bar melted in his pocket.
- Mr. Rogers was an ordained minister" Fred McFeely Rogers (March 20, 1928 – February 27, 2003).
- In 2009 a NY cop was placed in a psychiatric facility by his fellow officers for releasing recordings he made that showed quotas were leading to police abuses such as wrongful arrests. Source
- The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
- "Stewardesses" is the longest word that is typed with only the left hand.
- In the 1970s, Belgium used to serve children beer at school. Source
- "a man a plan a canal panama" spelled backwards is still "a man a plan a canal panama"
- A snail can sleep for three years.
- A grown man hunted down and attacked a child who killed him several time in Call of Duty. Source
- Americans on average eat 18 acres of pizza every day.
- If the population of China walked past you in single file, the line would never end because of the rate of reproduction.
- Police in Germany hunted a sinister phantom killer for two years after finding the same DNA at 39 different crime scenes – only to discover that the source was a woman who made the cotton buds used to collect the sample. Source
- In ancient Egypt, priests plucked EVERY hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes.
- About 6000 patients a year leave U.S. operating rooms with surgical sponges, forceps, and other surgical tools left inside them. They won’t realize it until they develop a life-threatening infection. Source
- On average, people fear spiders more than they do death.
- Polish troops raised an orphaned bear cub during WWII. He enjoyed drinking beer, and was trained to salute. He became officially enlisted as a member of the forces, and helped carry artillery during battle. Source
- Beelzebub, another name for the devil, is Hebrew for "Lord of the Flies", and this is where the book's title comes from.
- A woman had to have both her legs amputated after she passed out drunk with her legs tucked under her. Cutting off circulation to her legs. Source
- According to researchers its possible to identify a legitimate psychopath based on tweets. It was found that psychopaths are more likely to use filler words like “um,” are more likely to use cause-and-effect words like “because,” and are less likely to make mention of religion or family. Because uh … um … oh, right: It signifies their emotional detachment from society or whatever. 3000 volunteers were examined via a personality test that classified their tweets within three traits. 41 were identified as possible psychopaths. After follow-up testing, more than half were confirmed. Source
- The pilot of a FedEx cargo plane flew his DC-10 upside down while the flight engineer was trying to hijack the plane and fighting the co-pilot in the cargo hold. Source
- If you were were exposed to outer space without a suit, after about 15 seconds, you would be blue, bloated, and in an unresponsive stupor, but not dead. If they got you back inside and gave you oxygen within about 90 seconds, you’d likely make a complete recovery with only minor injuries. Source
- In 1893 an amendment was proposed to rename the US to the United States of Earth. Source