Weird Facts 18
- Former billionaire Chuck Feeney has given away over 99% of his 6.3 Billion dollars to help under privileged kids go to college. He is now worth $2 million dollars. Source
- If you have no debts and $10 in your pocket, you have more wealth than 25% of Americans. Source
- The human skeleton weighs appx 13 kilos.
- Santos Rodriguez, a 12-year-old boy, was shot and killed by a Dallas police officer who tried using Russian roulette to make him confess to stealing $8 from a vending machine. The officer served only 2.5 years. Source
- In a life time, the average human can fill an Olympic swimming pool with their saliva.
- The first police car was used in 1899 in England.
- The first recorded car theft was in 1896 in Paris.
- In 1895 Hampshire police handed out the first ever speeding ticket, fining a man for doing 6mph!
- In the 1920s pedestrian deaths were considered public tragedies with monuments built for killed children and their mothers given honorary emblems. Then the automotive industry created the term ‘jaywalker’ to shift the blame onto the victims and ridicule them. Source
- There was a Russian game show that would have you steal a car and if you didn’t get caught by the police within 35 minutes, you win the car. Otherwise you would be arrested. Source
- There are documents that state that Pope Pius XII tried to perform an exorcism on Hitler at a distance, but failed. Source
- Tripping on LSD has aided at least 2 Nobel prize winners in their scientific discoveries. Source
- When a glass breaks, the crack travels 3,000 kph.
- Take your weight divide it by 3: that's how much your legs weigh. Each leg accounts for 15 to 22% of your total weight.
- Having a swimming pool at home is 100 times more likely to lead to an accidental child death than having a gun at home. Source
- More babies are born in September than any other month.
- In 2011 drug cartel kidnapped hundreds of innocent bus passengers in Mexico and made them fight to death like gladiators. The winners were sent on suicide missions. Source
- Every day 1 acre of trees produce enough oxygen for 18 people.
- About 8% of your total weight is blood.
- A garbage man won 9 million in the lottery, spent it all on drugs, destruction derbys, and jewelry. Now he’s a garbage man again. Source
- In 1965, the city of Amsterdam started the White Bicycle Plan that provided free public bicycles for anyone to go from place to place. Within a month, most of the bikes were stolen or found in canals. Source
- A series of experiments by psychologists at the University of California Berkeley and the University of Toronto showed that upper class people are less charitable and more likely to cheat. Source
- Patient Charles Algeri was getting his spine welded together by Dr. David Arndt in a marathon daylong surgery when it became clear that the doctor had other concerns on his mind. He repeatedly asked the nurses to find out if his paycheck had arrived. When another surgeon, Leo Troy, passed by to drop the check off, Arndt asked Troy to watch the patient for “about five minutes.” Then the surgeon walked right out of the hospital, got behind the wheel of his car and drove to the bank. Those few minutes turned into half an hour, and Algeri (who found out about it after the surgery) didn’t think that the doc avoiding late fees was a good enough reason to leave him lying wide open on an operating table. He sued the surgeon for malpractice. Source
- Tommy Hilfiger manufactured clothes in Saipan sweatshops. Since it’s a U.S. territory, the clothing could be produced cheaply while still being labeled “Made in the USA.” Source
- A woman found her lost engagement ring, wrapped around a carrot, after 16 years. Source
Weird Facts has been updated daily since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.