Weird Facts 28
An old man gained the trust of a Belgian bank by bringing the workers chocolate. He was given VIP access to the bank vault and in 2007, stole $28 million worth of diamonds. Source
The Pentagon, in Arlington, Virginia, has twice as many bathrooms as is necessary. When it was built in the 1940s, the state of Virginia still had segregation laws requiring separate toilet facilities for blacks and whites.
- The current flag of the USA was designed by a 17 year old for a school project. He received a B-. Source
- The Phillips-head screwdriver was invented in Oregon.
- The phrase ' The 3 R's ' ( standing for 'reading, writing and arithmetic' ) was created by Sir William Curtis, who was illiterate.
- The British Army issues antimicrobial underwear that can be worn for three months at a time. Source
- The province of Alberta in Canada has been almost completely free of rats since 1905. Read More
- The slogan on New Hampshire license plates is 'Live Free or Die'. These license plates are manufactured by prisoners in the state prison in Concord.
- Actress Tallulah Bankhead was infamous for not wearing underwear. During the filming of Lifeboat, the crew complained about her flashing them when she had to climb a ladder. Director Alfred Hitchcock reportedly quipped that he didn’t know if it was a matter for wardrobe or hairdressing. Source
- Harold Shipman was a doctor in the UK responsible for 15 deaths officially, but further investigations revealed he may have killed up to 250 people. Shipman was given 15 life sentences. Source
- The term "devil's advocate" comes from the Roman Catholic church. When deciding if someone should be sainted, a devil's advocate is always appointed to give an alternative view.
- Jamie Johnson, the heir to the Johnson and Johnson fortune, made 2 documentaries showing how the 1% live and was sued for it by some of his friends who called him an ”idiot” and a ”traitor to your class.” Source
- Over 2/3 of wealthy Americans drink alcohol daily, but only about 1/3 of poor Americans do. Source
- Zimbabwe-unemploymentZimbabwe has a 94% unemployment rate. Source
- There is about 200 times more gold in the world’s oceans, than has been mined in our entire history.
- A digital rectal massage can successfully cure the hiccups. Source
- Tomb robbers believed that knocking Egyptian sarcophagi's noses off would forestall curses.
- U.S. Interstates which go north-south are numbered sequentially starting from the west with odd numbers, and Interstates which go east-west are numbered sequentially starting from the south with even numbers.
- Until 1967, LSD was legal in California.
- Uganda has an Anti-Human Sacrifice Taskforce due to the amount of people being killed by witch-doctors. Source
- The New Orleans W. Closure Complex will be largest pump station on earth & pump 150,000 gallons per second Read More
- When young and impoverished, Pablo Picasso kept warm by burning his own paintings.
- While at Havard University, Edward Kennedy was suspended for cheating on a Spanish exam.
- A Russian couple were reunited after being separated for 60 years. They were married for 3 days when the husband left to join the Red Army. They were unable to find each other until 60 years later when they randomly visited their hometown on the same day. Source
- The longest recorded marriage lasted 91 years and 12 days. Source
Weird Facts has been updated daily since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.