Weird Facts 12
Dedicated to keeping you informed about all the interesting, strange and cool facts from around the world.
- The only person a 5-star U.S. general will salute first (other than the president) is a Medal of Honor recipient. Source
- Sound doesn't travel in space. Source
- A priest on the Titanic refused a place on a life boat twice, and stayed behind to hear confessions and give absolution to people left on the ship. Source
- The chances of you dying on the way to get your lottery tickets is greater than your chances of winning.
- If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19.You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.
- In 1792 criminals saw they could make a good profit by filing shavings from the sides of gold and silver coins and selling the precious metal, which is why coins now have ridges on their sides. Source
- Every time you lick a stamp, you're consuming 1/10 of a calorie.
- Statistically you are more likely to be killed by a champagne cork than by a poisonous spider. Read More
- There is a perfectly painless of killing someone through nitrogen asphyxiation by cutting off oxygen while still supplying nitrogen so that the body does not experience a suffocating sensation. However, this method is not used by any government as a method of capital punishment. Source
- Right-handed people live, on average, nine years longer than Left-handed people do.
- There are 468,749 Philadelphians on food stamps in a city of 1.5 million people. Source
- US taxpayers paid more to Israeli defense budget than Israelis. Source
- In ancient Egypt, Priests plucked every hair from their bodies, including their eyebrows and eyelashes. Verified
- The average human body contains enough fat to make seven bars of soap.
- UPS gets 15,000 parking tickets in New York a month. Source
- During your lifetime, the average human will grow 591 miles of hair. Unverified But hair does grows about 6 inches per year and the average head has 100,000 hairs. Take an average lifespan of 67.2 years. 6 x 100,000 x 67.2 = 40,320,000 inches = 636 miles. Unfortunately hair growth is not uniform through out your lifespan, I have yet to find a formula for this, but this would be pretty close.
- A Thai woman accidentally slipped on “farmyard mud,” grabbed a naked live wire and got electrocuted to death. After the funeral, her sister was showing her neighbors how the accident happened when she herself slipped, grabbed the same live wire and also got electrocuted to death. Source
- 7 in 10 Americans have some kind of fear of the dark.
- On May 25th 1986, 6.5 million people held hands in a human chain for 15 minutes. This nationwide event, called Hands Across America, was intended to raise money to fight hunger and homelessness. The chain was 4,152 miles long from New York to California. Source
- In 2011, four Wal-Mart employees were fired for disarming a gunman caught shoplifting. Source
- 111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321 Verified
- Medal of Honor recipient Thomas Baker was gravely wounded and had his comrades leave him behind, propped up against a tree with a pistol that had 8 bullets remaining. Later they found his body next to the tree, surrounded by 8 dead Japanese soldiers. Source
- 47% of the citizens in metro Detroit are functionally illiterate. Source
- The cost of college textbooks in the US has risen faster than the cost of healthcare, house prices and inflation. Source
- Only two people signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4th, John Hancock and Charles Thomson. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn't added until 5 years later. False Cannot be verified 100%
- For years, the slogan on Oklahoma license plates was “Oklahoma is OK.” Source
- In 2000, Singapore’s McDonald’s restaurants gave out Hello Kitty dolls adorned in wedding gowns. The promotion was so popular that people went to McDonald’s and bought more hamburgers than they’d intend to eat, discarding the meat to get the toys. Unfortunately, supply of the dolls didn’t quite reach demand, leading to a riot in one franchise. Due to the violence, area McDonald’s did something unheard of for a hamburger vendor — they limited the number of hamburgers that any one customer could purchase at a time. Source
- The term "the whole 9 yards" came from WWII fighter pilots in the Pacific.When arming their airplanes on the ground, the .50 caliber machine gun ammo belts measured exactly 27 feet, before being loaded into the fuselage. If the pilots fired all their ammo at a target, it got "the whole 9 yards." Unverified
- A Boeing 727 aircraft was stolen out of an airport in 2003. Neither the plane, nor the two men aboard were ever found. Source
- In 1994, the pilot of an Aeroflot Airbus A310 allowed his son to sit at the controls during a flight. The boy inadvertently turned off the autopilot controls, sending the plane into hillside and killing all 75 aboard. Source
The Pentagon, in Arlington, Virginia, has twice as many bathrooms as is necessary. When it was built in the 1940s, the state of Virginia still had segregation laws requiring separate toilet facilities for blacks and whites.True Read More
- Due to a perfect combination of depth, altitude and temperature bodies that drown in Lake Tahoe rarely surface OR decompose. Source
- There’s a bush which emits a flammable, oily substance which can be lit on fire, without burning the bush itself. Source
Stay tuned for more Fun Facts coming soon!
Weird Facts has been updated daily since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.