Weird Facts 25
Dedicated to keeping you informed about all the interesting, strange and cool facts from around the world.
- US consumers spent $66.54 per person on Halloween in 2008, a number that's expected to drop this year. Read More
- A hard working adult sweats up to 4 gallons per day. Most of the sweat evaporates before a person realizes it's there, though!
- In 2003, Kirk Jones drunkenly swam over the Niagara Falls, earning himself a $2,300 fine and a lifetime ban from Canada. Source
- The fingerprints of koala bears are virtually indistinguishable from those of humans, so much so that they can be easily confused at a crime scene. Source
- A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second! I'll be there in a jiffy
- In WWII a woman-only Soviet bomber regiment were nicknamed the “Night Witches” by German soldiers. For a successful bombing run, the Witches would cut the engine of their archaic and noisy aircraft. Gliding in, they would release their bombs before the enemy even knew they were there. Source
- A lump of pure gold the size of a matchbox can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court!
- Scientists have proposed we give dolphins similar rights as humans, given their brain structure and complex social systems. One ethics professor has even called them “non-human persons”. Source
- Bamboo has a growth rate of 100 cm in 24 hours. Source
- Not only all education is free in Denmark – students also receive 900 dollars/month from the state that they can use for whatever they want and never have to pay back. Source
- India producing twice as many engineers, scientists, and IT specialists as America every year. An Indian firm called Aspiring Minds recently stepped up to test the engineering graduates, and according to their results, a third of the tested engineers lacked the most basic mathematical skills needed in everyday life. An incredible 42 percent couldn’t multiply or divide simple decimal numbers. The low quality of India’s specialists and their additional lack of English-comprehension skills have reportedly gotten so bad that some large Indian tech firms are hiring liberal arts majors and training them from scratch. Source
- Apples are more efficient than caffeine in keeping people awake in the mornings!
- Air Jordan‘s were banned upon introduction by the NBA. However, Jordan wore them anyways, as Nike was willing to pay the fine each game. Source
- Caffeine makes you more open-minded to viewpoints that contradict your own. Source
- In New Jersey there are cards issued by “Policemen’s Benefit Associations” that can essentially get friends/family of the police out of minor tickets. Source
- 82 percent of the United States lives in urban areas. Read More
- Human teeth are almost as hard as rocks!
- Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete!
- If you put a raisin in a glass of champagne, it will keep floating to the top and sinking to the bottom.
- In 2011 German Police fired 85 bullets all year while US Police used 90 on one single person. Source
- If you counted 24 hours a day, it would take 31,688 years to reach one trillion!
- No piece of square dry paper can be folded more than 7 times in half! Undetermined
- Nose prints are used to identify dogs, just like humans use fingerprints!
- German prisoners of war in the U.S during WWII were allowed outside camps without guards solely on the honor system. No prisoner ever ran away. Source
- Utah now penalizes a texting driver who causes a fatality as harshly as a drunken driver who kills someone. Read More