Weird Facts 37
Dedicated to keeping you informed about all the interesting, strange and cool facts from around the world.
- Edgar Mitchell, the sixth person to walk on the moon, has claimed that “aliens have contacted humans several times” on Kerrang radio in 2008. Source
- A woman was raised by monkeys after being kidnapped and abandoned in jungle when she was 4. Source
- The New York City Police Department operates in 11 foreign cities, including London, Lyons, Hamburg, Tel Aviv and Toronto. Source
- There are four cars and eleven light posts on the back of a 1934 ten-dollar bill. Source
- There are more than 50,000 earthquakes throughout the world every year!
- Princeton University conducted a study which proved that, despite common misconception, squirrels remember where they buried their nuts. Source
- Until 1990, the deadly poison mercury was used in about 30% of latex paints!
- Whispering is more wearing on your voice than a normal speaking tone.
- For beer commercials, they add liquid detergent to the beer to make it foam more.
- If you commit suicide in Japan by jumping in front of a train, the company will charge the family a disruption fee. Source
- Babies start dreaming even before they're born.
- Babies who wear disposable diapers are five times more likely to develop diaper rash than those that wear cotton diapers.
- Republicans are nearly three times as likely to suffer from nightmares as their left-wing counterparts. Source
- Every unborn baby grows a moustache in the womb, which then spreads to cover the entire body. The baby then eats this fine hair, called lanugo, and excretes it after birth with their first bowel movement, which is a substance called meconium. Source
- In an effort to preserve the language, ‘Star Wars’ is being dubbed in Navajo. Source
- Hamlet has been fully translated and performed in Klingon. Source
- A dad spoke only Klingon to child for three years. Source
- On average, 100 people choke to death on ballpoint pens every year.
- In 1916 a Salt Lake City company figured out the cheapest way to send 40 tons of bricks to Vernal Utah was to wrap each individually and send parcel post. Regulations were quickly changed to address this issue. Source
- Up to 25% of the population may have trouble distinguishing between right and left, even into adulthood. Source
- The Mona Lisa has no eyebrows. It was the fashion in Renaissance Florence to shave them off!
- Muhammad used to buy slaves just so he could set them free. Source
- Orthodox Jews say a prayer after defecation thanking God for having an anus and for the ability to use it. Source
- There is a law that states every high school in New Zealand may hold 1 pound of uranium and 1 pound of thorium, for conducting nuclear experiments, and will be fined $1,000,000 for a nuclear explosion. Source
- The Mars One project is seeking to colonize Mars by 2023. The astronaut/colonists will spend the rest of their lives on the red planet. Soruce
Stay tuned for more Fun Facts coming soon!
Weird Facts has been updated daily since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.