Weird Facts 15
Dedicated to keeping you informed about all the interesting, strange and cool facts from around the world.
- According to Genesis 1:20-22 the chicken came before the egg.
- God is the only character on the Simpsons to have 5 fingers. Source
- Everyone in Iceland pays church tax, and the payment of those unaffiliated with a church goes to the University of Iceland. Source
- After human death, post-mortem rigidity starts in the head and travels to the feet, and leaves the same way it came -- head to toe.
- Albert Brooks's real name is Albert Einstein. Read More
- An Arizona woman was billed $83,046 for 2 doses of medicine to treat scorpion sting–which would have cost $200 in Mexico. Source
- A Texas Hospital billed a woman $4800 after she was in an accident. Once the hospital found out she received an insurance settlement they sent her a new bill for $20,000+ and filed a lien against her property to get it. Source
- Alexander Graham Bell, the inventor of the telephone, never phoned his wife or his mother. They were both deaf.
- A British tail gunner in WWII jumped out of a plane without a parachute rather than burn to death. He fell 18,000 feet and survived. He was captured and questioned by the Gestapo. They were so impressed, they issued him a certificate verifying the story. Source
- Alexander the Great was an epileptic.
- Alfred Hitchcock didn't have a belly button. It was eliminated when he was sewn up after surgery.
- Tampons were originally designed for bullet wounds. Source
- All of the officers in the Confederate army were given copies of Les Miserables, by Victor Hugo, to carry with them at all times. Robert E. Lee, among others, believed that the book symbolized their cause. Both revolts were defeated.
- Ancient drinkers warded off the devil by clinking their cups.
- A man was hit by a Metro train going 70mph and his flying body parts injured a woman. She sued his estate on the theory that “If you do something as stupid as this guy did, you have to be responsible for what comes from it“. Source
- In Ancient Rome, if people wished to commit suicide, they applied to the Senate and, if their petitions were approved, were given free hemlock. Source
- A man once escaped a police interrogation room by putting a coat over his handcuffs and walking out the door. He later mailed back the cuffs.
- There is a vigilante group of women in India whose mission includes beating up abusive husbands. Source
- Ancient Egyptians shaved off their eyebrows to mourn the deaths of their cats.
- Ice worms are worms that live in glaciers. If they are exposed to temperatures above 40°F, they melt!
- Astronauts are not allowed to eat beans before they go into space because passing wind in a spacesuit damages them. Source
- Bingo is the name of the dog on the Cracker Jack box.
- There exists a sword, a jewel, and a mirror that are all over 1,000 years old and extremely sacred to Japan. They are so important that their locations are theorized but unconfirmed and their last sighting was in 1993 during Emperor Akihito’s enthronement but were also covered in packages. Source
- Drukpa Kunley was a Buddhist Monk who promised women a path to Nirvana through the use of his penis, or “Flaming Thunderbolt” as he liked to call it. The women paid him in beer. Source
- Every December 25th a town in Peru celebrates “Takanakuy”. Men, women, and children settle grudges with fistfights. Then everyone goes drinking together, ready to start the new year with a clean slate. Source
Stay tuned for more Fun Facts coming soon!
Weird Facts has been updated daily since 1999.
We read all comments and respond to any requests.